500 SW Van Buren Street
Topeka, KS 66603-3335 (m)
Phone: (785) 296-3133
Fax: (785) 296-8655
24-Hour Toll Free Hotline: (800) 922-5330
Kristi Skinner, Supervisor, East Region
Mission Statement: To provide intervention activities directed towards safeguarding the well-being and general welfare of adults in need of protection.
Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday
• Initiate a personal visit with the adult within 24 hours to five working days depending on the risk of imminent danger to the individual.
• When appropriate, contact collateral sources (relatives, neighbors, service providers, etc.).
• With consent of the adult, interview the alleged perpetrator if one has been named.
• Discuss with the adult, guardian, conservator and/or caretaker what actions are needed and develop service plans or corrective action plans with recommendations to prevent further harm.
• Assist in locating services which are necessary to maintain physical or mental health such as legal services, medical care, appropriate living arrangements, assistance in personal hygiene, food, clothing, adequately heated and ventilated shelter, protection from maltreatment and transportation.
• Provide advocacy to assure protection of personal rights
• After due process, enter the names of confirmed perpetrators of abuse, neglect and exploitation on a central registry that is available to community service providers, mental health centers, independent living agencies and home health agencies doing background checks for employment purposes.
Eligibility: Adults at risk are persons 18 years of age or older who are unable to protect their own interests and who are harmed or threatened with harm through action or inaction by themselves or others. Typically, this includes the elderly, physically disabled, mentally ill and developmentally disabled individuals.
How to Apply: Call (785) 296-3133, or Toll Free (800) 922-5330
Funding: State General Fund