Amy Blosser, Director
Community Action, Inc. is a grantee for Head Start programs in Shawnee County and offers services for families from the time they learn of a pregnancy until the child is of school age.
Mission Statement: To help break the cycle of poverty facing preschool children in low-income families since 1964. Today Head Start/Early Head Start is a comprehensive child development program available to income-eligible families at no cost.
Hours: 7:30 am – 5:30 pm, Monday – Friday
- Preschool: Offered morning and afternoon, Monday – Friday, during the school year
- Comprehensive preschool for children ages 3 – 5 and child care with partner agencies and home visitation for children younger than 3 years
- Extended-day child care, 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday – Friday
- Parent education, parent support groups, social activities, coordination of comprehensive family support services and referrals to social services
- Bus transportation to and from Community Action Head Start is provided for children enrolled in the preschool program who live within defined areas.
- Pregnant women and families with children from age 0 to school-age that have a household income at or below 100% of the federal poverty guideline are eligible for Head Start/Early Head Start
- Children enrolling in the center-based preschool program must be 3-4 years of age on or before August 31 of the year that they begin attending the center-based program
- Several factors may be considered in determining selection for the program, including family size, special needs/developmental delays and other family factors
- Families with children who receive foster care services or have special needs
How to Apply: Call (785) 266-0245
Fees: Head Start services are offered at no charge
Funding: Provided by US Department of Health and Human Services, Department for Children and Families, State of Kansas, Kansas Public Preschool Project and Parents as Teachers