Laurie Chandler, County Extension Director
Mission Statement: Dedicated to a safe, sustainable, competitive food and fiber system and to strong, healthy communities, families, and youth through integrated research, analysis and education.
Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday
- Agriculture: Printed information and expertise in the following areas: crops, livestock, forestry, insects, and conservation and relative urban problems.
- Family & Consumer Sciences: Educational programs, printed information and expertise on food safety, housing, nutrition, family life, parenting, adult development and aging, family financial management and consumer information.
- Horticulture: Educational programs on selection, planting and care of garden and landscape plants. Services include soil fertility testing, disease diagnosis, weed and insect identification. Extension Master Gardener volunteers staff a “Response Line” on weekday afternoons (April – September) at (785) 357-GROW (4769). Questions about any aspect of home environment horticulture are invited.
- Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP). (see listing)
- 4-H Youth Development (see listing)
Eligibility: Any Shawnee County resident desiring the service
How to Apply: Call (785) 232-0062 or visit the office
Fees: User fees charged for some events, services and publications
Funding: Federal, state and county governments, grants