Docking State Office Building
915 SW Harrison Street (m)
Topeka, KS 66612-1588
Phone: (785) 368-8222
Fax: (785) 368-8392
Nick Jordan, Secretary of Revenue
Mission statement: The Kansas Department of Revenue collects taxes and fees, administers Kansas tax laws, issues a variety of licenses, and provides assistance to Kansas citizens and units of government.
Hours: 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday
- Administers the retailers’ sales tax, and royalties and motor fuel tax, to name a few. Individuals file state income tax returns at the Department of Revenue, and businesses report their corporate taxes. Issues drivers licenses and liquor licenses.
- Drivers License Exam: There are 37 Kansas drivers license examination stations. In addition, 77 county treasurers’ offices are equipped to renew and process a duplicate license. For the nearest exam station, check your telephone directory or call Topeka Drivers License Examining Bureau, (785) 296-3963.
- Taxpayer assistance: If you have a tax question or need assistance filing your state income tax return, write to the Taxpayer Assistance Center, Kansas Department of Revenue, 915 SW Harrison Street, Topeka, KS 66625 or call (785) 368-8222, 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. Some tax forms and most information, can be downloaded from http://www.ksrevenue.org
- Kansas Homestead and Food Sales Tax Refund information is also available from the Taxpayer Assistance Center. The Kansas Homestead Refund Act is designed to provide a refund of property taxes to low-income, disabled, and elderly persons who own or rent their homestead. The Kansas Food Sales Tax Refund Act provides a refund of sales tax paid for food purchases to qualified individuals.
- Other: For individuals 60 years of age and older, Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) is available and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available to low-income taxpayers regardless of age. These IRS services are available between February 1 and April 15. For the nearest federal tax assistance site please call Toll Free: (800) 829-1040.
Eligibility: Contact Department of Revenue
How to Apply: Contact Department of Revenue
Fees: Contact Department of Revenue