Topeka Shawnee County Public Library
1515 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66604 (m)
Phone: (785) 580-4545
TTY: (785) 580-4544
Fax: (785) 580-4430
Nathan Hohl, Red Carpet librarian
Mission Statement: To provide library materials, services and access to older adults, individuals with special needs and their caregivers through personalized, individual and customized service. Red Carpet Service will deliver these services to congregate living sites, individuals in their homes and walk-in patrons on a consistent and regularly – scheduled basis.
Hours: 9:00 am – 9:00 pm , Monday – Friday
9:00 am – 6:00 pm, Saturday
12:00 pm – 9:00 pm, Sunday
- Outreach: Staff and volunteers prepare and deliver materials every two weeks to people living in retirement complexes and adult care facilities. Red Carpet also delivers to senior centers and meal sites.
- Homebound Program: Staff calls, selects and delivers materials directly to homebound individuals and pick up returns once every two weeks.
- Older Adult Programming: Staff and volunteers present programs ranging from informational programs about low vision aids or assistive devices to recreational programs of reminiscence.
- Materials: Large print books and magazines, reminiscence kits, TTY, information regarding various aging issues, therapeutic games, low vision aids, Bi-Folkal kits, assistive hearing devices.
- Low Vision / Assistive Hearing Device Center: Staff and volunteers are available to demonstrate low vision / assistive aids to anyone interested. Magnifiers and assistive hearing devices are available to check out for three weeks.
- TTY Service Desk: individuals with hearing loss can call 785-580-4544 and ask reference questions.
- Adaptive Computer Center: Three computers with screen reading programs (JAWs), screen magnification programs (Zoom text), open book, big key keyboard, hands free keyboard, trackball mouse, hands free mouse, etc., for individuals who have low vision, are blind, or have a disability preventing them from using a regular computer.
- Talking Book Service: Staff can assist with signing up for the Talking Books program by providing applications and information regarding the service.
Eligibility: Outreach services for Shawnee County
How to Apply: Call or visit the library
Funding: The City of Topeka and Shawnee County