Lisa Jackson, Executive Director
Mission Statement: Sheltered Living, Inc. supports the efforts of individuals with intellectual disabilities to achieve independence and actively participate in the community.
Hours: 24 hours per day, 365 days per year
- Community Living Program: We have 19 homes for community living person served. we serve approximately 130 people, who range from 18-34 years of age. Individual goals are set and steps to obtain and lead a productive and independent life.
- Independent Living Program: Forty people are served in independent living homes who have learned daily living skills and most have a part-time or full-time job. SLI provides services fifteen hours a week to help with their needs.
- Community Integrated Program (CIP): The CIP program focuses on life-enhancing activities, active learning and community involvement. We offer services that reflect individual interest and support individual growth. All areas of life are valued and are part of the program. Forty people are served in day services.
- Targeted Case Management: Trained case managers assist 216 individuals and their families to develop and implement the person-centered support plan and to identify and maintain eligible state and federal funding. Case Managers meet at least monthly with clients. We have access to professional trained and educated for autism spectrum disorders,mental health and behavioral support and planning.
- Transportation Services: Independence and the opportunity for community involvement is a high priority for persons served and their families. In 2015, we provided more more than 138,000 vehicle trips for clients to the grocery store, work, day activities, shopping, church and medical appointments.
Eligibility: Individuals with intellectual and/ or physical disabilities
How to Apply: Director of Admissions and Habilitation, (785) 233-2566or contact the Community Developmental Disabilities Organization (CDDO), (785) 267-1041
Fees: Sliding scale based on ability to pay
Funding: Funding sources are federal,state,county mill levy and fees for services, The major fundraising events are Festival of Trees and the Sheltered Living Golf Classic. Festival of Trees has raised more than $2 million in the past 38 years.