225 SW 12th Street
Topeka, KS 66612 (m)
Phone: Topeka (785) 354-7927
Phone: Holton (785) 362-2222
Phone: Alma (785) 765-3333
Toll Free: (888) 822-2983
Ulrike Schlingensiepen, LMLP, Program Director
Mission Statement: The YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment is committed to providing a high quality, comprehensive response to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. We pledge to offer support, advocacy, public education, and awareness in our community.
Hours: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday
Counselors on call 24 hours a day
- Crisis intervention: Emergency shelter, information and referrals, counselors available 24 hours a day.
- Court advocacy: Support and information about what to expect in the courtroom, assistance in obtaining Protection from Abuse orders and Protection for Stalking orders.
- Support Services: Individual counseling and support groups for women, men, and children; support and information during criminal and civil court cases; advocacy through the Orientation Assessment Referral Safety (OARS) program for victims of violence on public assistance; rural outreach services for victims in outlying counties.
- Prevention: Educational presentations for schools, businesses, and other organizations; in-service training for professionals/awareness-raising events.
- Family Peace Initiative that is a psycho-educational 27 week program for batterers, to hold them accountable for their violence and to teach them patterns of non-violence.
Eligibility: Any victim of abuse from a spouse or partner, any person who is a batterer, or any victim of sexual assault or abuse who is 16 years old or older. Shelter is available for female victims and their children.
How to Apply: Contact the Center
Funding: United Way of Greater Topeka, County Social Services Funds, Victims of Crime Act, Stop Violence Against Women Act, Protection from Abuse/Federal Family Violence Prevention, Crime Victim Assistance Fund, State General Fund, Emergency Shelter Grant, City of Topeka – General Fund, private donations and the YWCA.